We have qualified diabetes educators and care coordinators to provide diabetes self-management education through individual and/or group education classes. During education classes, they focus on the skills necessary to manage diabetes at their own homes. We are also available to work with individuals, villages, schools or other community agencies to plan, help implement or improve physical activity or equipment available within the villages.
- Care coordination for patients with diabetes
- Patient education to improve knowledge and awareness of diabetes self-management techniques, foot care, nutrition, complications, physiology, and pharmaceutical management of diabetes
- Foot care for elder patients with diabetes and pre-diabetes
- Outreach and prevention in communities with the intent to slow the spread of diabetes and educate beneficiaries about risk factors, lifestyle changes, family history, and overall wellness
- Community education at health fairs, music festivals, and other gatherings
- Village visits as requested to provide diabetes self management education
- School visits as requested to provide prevention information and lifestyle education
- Diabetes Prevention Program – The program provides a supportive environment where participants work together in a small group to learn about healthier eating and increasing their physical activity in order to reduce their risk for developing diabetes
This is a survival skills course in a fun group setting that takes the place of your “usual diabetes visit”. This class is designed for individuals with a tight schedule, or those who are in Fairbanks for a short visit.
- Tuesday or Thursday
- 1:30 p.m. –4:00 p.m.
This class is essential for the newly diagnosed patient or those who want to dive deeper into their diabetes self care. This is a one day class offered quarterly.
- 9:00 a.m. to 3:30 p.m. quarterly (four classes per year)
This class is designed for the newly diagnosed patient or those with special needs (hearing impaired, vision impaired, etc.)
Individual Education classes may include:
- Complete foot exam,
- urine test to check your kidneys,
- meter instruction, nutrition
- insulin training