Tanacross

Contact Us

Phone: (907) 883-5024 / 4496 Fax: (907) 883-4497

Address: P.O. Box 76009 Tanacross, AK 99776

Health Clinic: (907) 883-4131 Fax: (907) 883-3327

This health center is a Health Center Program grantee under 42 U.S.C. 254b, and a deemed Public Health Service employee under 42 U.S.C. 233(g)-(n).

Quick Facts

Pronounced (TAN-uh-cross)

Current Population 130 (2012 Alaska Department of Labor Estimate) Community’s Senate District T Community’s House District 39 Community’s Judicial District 4

Latitude: 63.3853 Longitude: -143.3464

Jobs

View jobs in Tanacross.

Location

Tanacross is located on the south bank of the Tanana River, 12 miles northwest of Tok, at milepost 1324 of the Alaska Highway.

Climate

Tanacross lies within the continental climatic zone, with cold winters and warm summers. In the winter, cold air settles in the valley and ice fog and smoke are common. The average low during January is -22 °F; the average high during July is 65 °F. Extreme temperatures have been measured from -75 to 90 °F.

History

St.Timothy's Episcopal Church in Old Tanacross

St.Timothy’s Episcopal Church in Old Tanacross

Residents are Tanah (or Tinneh) Athabascan Indians. Most villagers relocated from Mansfield Village, Kechumstuk, and Last Tetlin in 1912 when Bishop Rowe established St. Timothy’s Episcopal Mission. The village was originally located on the north side of the Tanana River and was called “Tanana Crossing.” It is located where the Eagle Trail crossed the Tanana River.

A trading post opened near the mission in 1912, and the St. Timothy’s post office opened in 1920. More Natives moved from Mansfield when a formal school opened in 1932, although classes had been held at the mission. The name was eventually shortened to Tanacross.

In the mid-1930s, an airfield was built across the river from the village. In 1941, the village gave the military permission to use its airfield as an emergency deployment post during World War II. The airfield was paved in 1942, and temporary camps were established. Thousands of troops were deployed through Tanacross airfield during the war. People of the village served as volunteer scouts and backup support for the army.

After the war, the airfield was closed. In 1972, due to water contamination, the village relocated from the north bank of the Tanana River to the south bank. In 1979 the old village site burned when a grass fire spread out of control.

Culture

Tanacross is a traditional Athabascan village with a subsistence lifestyle. The official language of Tanacross is Dihtaad Xt’een Aandeg’.

More Contact Info

    • Native Village of Tanacross
      • P.O. Box 76009 Tanacross, AK 99776
      • 907-883-5024
    • Tanacross Incorporated
      • P.O. Box 76029 Tanacross, AK 99776
      • 907-883-4130

Community profile data provided by the State of Alaska Department of Commerce, Community and Economic Development.