- Current Population 67 (2012 Alaska Department of Labor Estimate)
- Legislative Districts (link to State Legislature page):
- Senate District T
- House District 39
- Judicial District 4
- Latitude: 66.0064
- Longitude: -149.0908
Stevens Village is located on the north bank of the Yukon River, 17 miles upstream of the Dalton Highway bridge crossing and 90 air miles northwest of Fairbanks.
The winters are long and harsh, and the summers are short but warm. After freeze-up, the plateau is a source of cold, continental arctic air. Daily minimum temperatures between November and March are usually below 0 °F. Extended periods of -50 to -60 °F are common. Summer high temperatures run 65 to 72 °F; a high of 97 °F was recorded once. Total annual precipitation averages 7 inches, with 43 inches of snowfall. The Yukon River is ice-free from the end of May through mid-September.
The original settlement, called Dinyea (meaning “mouth of the canyon”), was founded by three Athabascan brothers from the Koyukon region: Old Jacob, Gochonayeeya, and Old Steven. The village was named for Old Steven when he was elected chief in 1902.
During the gold rush, residents cut wood for mining operations and to fuel steamboats plying the Yukon River. A trading post was established in the early 1900s. The first school opened in 1907. A post office began operations in 1936, and scheduled air service was initiated in 1939.
The Native population is predominantly Kutchin Natives, who depend upon subsistence.
Community profile data provided by the State of Alaska Department of Commerce, Community and Economic Development.