Alatna

Contact Us

Phone: (907) 968-2304 Fax: (907) 968-2305

Address: P.O. Box 10 Allakaket, AK 99720

Health Clinic: (907) 968-2314 Fax: (907) 968-2305

This health center is a Health Center Program grantee under 42 U.S.C. 254b, and a deemed Public Health Service employee under 42 U.S.C. 233(g)-(n).

Quick Facts

Pronounced (uh-LAT-na)

Current Population 27 (2012 Alaska Department of Labor Estimate) Community’s Senate District T Community’s House District 39 Community’s Judicial District 4

Latitude: 66.5669 Longitude: -152.6664

Jobs

View jobs in Alatna.

Location

Alatna is on the north bank of the Koyukuk river, southwest of its junction with the Alatna River, approximately 190 air miles northwest of Fairbanks and 57 miles upriver from Hughes. Alatna lies just west of the municipal boundaries of the City of Allakaket.

Climate

The area experiences a cold, continental climate with extreme temperature differences. The average high temperature during July is 70 °F. The average low during January is well below zero, and extended periods of -40 °F are common. The highest temperature ever recorded was 94 °F and the lowest temperature ever recorded was -75 °F. Average annual precipitation is 13 inches, and average annual snowfall is 72 inches. The Koyukuk River is ice-free from June through October.

History

Several Native groups have lived in the area, including Koyukon Athabascans and Kobuk, Selawik, and Nunamiut Eskimos from the north and northwest. The Koyukon lived in several camps throughout the year, moving as the seasons changed, following the wild game and fish. The various bands established joint settlements after 1851.

The old site of Alatna was a traditional trading center for Athabascans and Eskimos. The first mission on the Koyukuk River, St. John’s-in-the-Wilderness Episcopal Mission, was established in 1906. A post office was opened in 1925. In 1938, the name of the community was changed to Allakaket (the old name for the mission), and the name Alatna was assumed by the small Eskimo community across the river.

The first public school was established in 1957. A flood caused by ice jamming inundated 85% of the community in the spring of 1964. In 1975, the community incorporated as a city, including both settlements of Allakaket and Alatna. A clinic and airport were built in 1978. A new school and community roads were built in 1979.

In September 1994, flood waters destroyed and swept away nearly all of the community’s buildings, homes, and food caches for the winter. Residents have rebuilt near the old city site, but Alatna is no longer within the incorporated city boundaries.

Culture

The Alatna population consists largely of descendants of Kobuk Eskimos; Athabascans predominantly live in Allakaket. Subsistence activities are prevalent.

More Contact Info

Community profile data provided by the State of Alaska Department of Commerce, Community and Economic Development.