Healthy Transitions FAQ

I’m scared my youth or young adult is self-isolating and pulling away from the family. What do I do?

Isolation can be a sign of healthy behavior. If they are isolating, there are changes in behavior and/or attitude, and other violent and/or destructive behavior, these are signs of a larger issue and concern.

  • Try and talk with your youth or young adult about what is going on and what has changed in their life. Be open, honest, and actively listen to their story. People want to feel heard.
  • Ask them if they want or need help talking with a professional. If they say yes, call Tanana Chiefs Conference’s Behavioral Health Department 907-456-3800

I think my youth or young adult is doing drugs. What do I do?

  • Look for signs of drugs, alcohol, or physical abuse. This will help you find the right help and have a direct conversation with your youth or young adult. If they are experiencing substance abuse and mental health issues, Tanana Chiefs Conference’s Behavioral Health Department 907-456-3800 and ask for Healthy Transitions. We may be able to help your family.

Do I need my parent’s permission to receive services through Health Transition Services if I’m a minor?

Because you are a minor, we will need verbal consent from a parent or guardian to refer you to healthy transitions services. Our Behavioral Health Clinical Associates are available to listen to you and your parents so you both better understand the Healthy Transitions programs.

What if my youth or young adult doesn’t want to receive help through Healthy Transitions?

Youth and young adults over 18 years old are adults. Healthy Transitions is a voluntary program. It is their decision on whether or not to receive services. We can support the youth and young adults and/or parents or caregivers as they continue discussions about Healthy Transitions.