NOW ACCEPTING: BIA Housing Improvement Applications

Written by Communications_Dept on . Posted in Newsletter Frontpage and Current

TCC Housing Department is now accepting BIA HIP applications. All tribal members are encouraged to apply. Applications are available at your local tribal offices.

Applications: Download the BIA Application or pick up at your local tribal office.

DUE DATE: Applications with all needed documents before December 15th, 2019.

Questions? Contact Mitchell Shewfelt Sr. at ext. 3319
Fax: 907-459-3944
Mail: 122 1st Ave, Suite 600
Fairbanks, AK 99701
Attn: Housing Department

Please review the checklist before submitting your application.

HIP, the Housing Improvement Program, is a home repair, renovation, replacement and new housing grant program administered by the Bureau of Indian Affairs (BIA) and federally-recognized Indian tribes for American Indians and Alaska Native individuals and families who have no immediate resource for standard housing.  While not an entitlement program, HIP was established under The Snyder Act of 1921 as one of several BIA programs authorized by Congress for the benefit of Indian people.

To be eligible for HIP assistance, you must be a member of a federally recognized American Indian tribe or be an Alaska Native; live in an approved tribal service area; have an income that does not exceed 125% of the U.S. Department of Health and Human Services (DHHS) Poverty Guidelines; have present housing that is substandard, as defined by the regulations; have no other resource for housing assistance; have not received assistance after October 1, 1986 for repairs and renovation, replacement or housing, or down payment assistance; and have not acquired your present housing through a federally sponsored housing program that includes such housing assistance. 

Interim Improvements:  Provides up to $7,500 in housing repairs for conditions that threaten the health and/or safety of the occupants.

Repairs and Renovation:  Provides up to $60,000 in repairs and renovation to improve the condition of a homeowner’s dwelling to meet applicable building code standards.

Replacement Housing:  Provides a modest replacement home if a homeowner’s dwelling cannot be brought to applicable building code standards. 

New Housing: Provides a modest new home if you do not own a home, you may be eligible if you are the owner or leaseholder of land suitable for housing and the lease is for not less than 25 years at the time assistance is received

Home buyer ship: Assistance with down payment and closing costs towards the purchase of a modest home in your community. 


  • Complete BIA Housing Improvement Application
  • Copy of Income Verification for all household members or application will be incomplete
  • Copy of ID and Certificate of Indian Blood/Tribal Enrollment Card
  • Land Verification from Tribal Council/City
  • Letter stating disability from clinic (if you/any household members are claiming disability)
  • TCC Housing department recommends mailing in your application & documents to our office. Please make a copy for your record, if addition information is needed or if documents are missing.