TCC’s Housing First Facility Officially Opens

Press Release For Immediate Release

May 23, 2012

Contact: Rachel Saylor, TCC Communications, 907-452-8251 ext. 3218

December 2012

Fairbanks, Alaska— Tanana Chiefs Conference has officially opened the doors to its new 47 unit Housing First Facility. The facility provides stable housing to the chronic inebriate homeless and is the first of its kind in Fairbanks. Housing First has been open and operating since the beginning of May.

“We have placed the first group of tenants in the facility and will continue to admit tenants in stages until all the units are occupied.” said Shirley Lee, director of the program. “This allows the tenants time to adjust to their new surroundings and to get to know the staff and the program.”

Housing First is a supportive housing program that offers housing and optional support services such as case management.  Tenants are responsible for paying 30% of the rent and the remaining 70% is paid through housing vouchers or other sources.

Security cameras monitor all common areas of the facility.  All visitors check in at the locked, single entrance and the number of visitors is limited.

Jerry Isaac, President of Tanana Chiefs commented, “We are offering stability where there is none for the homeless.  We are offering a hand-up, not a hand- out.  We are confident that the program will have a positive effect on the community.”

Housing First programs operated in the Lower 48 have proven that when housed, tenants often reduce their drinking and begin to address their substance abuse and mental health issues.  Such programs have also shown significant reductions in public costs for crisis emergency services.

###

About Tanana Chiefs Conference: TCC is a non-profit organization that works toward meeting the health and social service challenges for more than 10,000 Alaska Natives spread across a region of 235,000 square miles in Interior Alaska.