The Office of Environmental Health (OEH) Training Program provides classroom trainings to rural water operators, utility managers, landfill operators and council members to increase their operation and management capacity and improve the health of their community.
- Check out our training calendar for upcoming courses!
- Most rural community participants are provided lodging and meals during the training.
- Instruction is provided by OEH staff and partner agencies.
- Course content is consistent with operation best-practices, while relevant to Alaska’s environmental conditions and cultures.
- Villages receiving TCC-OEH services are eligible for reimbursement of travel, but only if the student attends 100% of the class.
- If a student is asked to leave the class for any reason, travel expenses will not be reimbursed.
OEH Training Classes
- April 2-6, 2018 – City-Tribal Elected Officials Management for Rural Utilities + Sustainable Management Workshop: for rural community leaders and provides an overview of government including official’s roles and responsibilities, the Open Meetings Act, parliamentary procedure, ordinances and resolutions, financial management and sustainability
- April 13, 2018 – Statewide Written Certification Exams for Drinking Water and Wastewater Operators
- April 16-20, 2018 – Introduction to Small Water Systems: for water operators, with the State’s Provisional Level and Small Treated-Untreated certification exams administered on the last day of the training
- April 24-26, 2018 – Solid Waste Management: a USDA-RUS funded training intended for village environmental staff, administrators, and landfill operators wanting to learn how to better manage solid waste to improve the health of the community and environment
- April 30-May 4 – Zender Qualified Sampler Training: a training coordinated with Zender Environmental Health and Research Group, for those interested in learning how to take water quality and soil samples. Passing this course satisfies the State of Alaska training requirements to become a qualified sampler!
- Upon Request – Sustainable Management for Small Alaskan Systems Workshop: given on-site in the rural community; intended for council members, administrators, utility managers, and operators. This workshop supports small water and wastewater systems in addressing unique, site-specific challenges, discusses the Best Practice Scores and how this score directly impacts eligibility and prioritization for community sanitation projects. For information about your community’s Best Practice Scores: http://dec.alaska.gov/water/OpAssist/BestPractices.html
Please contact the OEH Training Coordinator
- (907) 452-8251 ext. 3437
- Outside Fairbanks: (800) 478-6822 ext. 3437