During the spring several communities within the Tanana Chiefs Conference region experience flooding including; Eagle, Circle, Fort Yukon, Beaver, Hughes, Steven’s Village, and Galena. Galena suffered the worst flooding with almost the entire community having to be evacuated after the might Yukon River swept water and massive ice chunks into the village.
In April, before any flooding had occurred in the
region, TCC’s Emergency Response Team was already working on giving communities the information they needed to prepare for a potential flood. The Emergency Response Team, consisting
of various employees from different departments throughout the organization, was recently formed to address the needs of the tribes during disaster situations.
“Although TCC is not a response agency, we still work
on the behalf of our tribes and are willing and able to respond as necessary,” said TCC Health Director and Incident Commander Victor Joseph.
When communities along the Yukon River began to flood, TCC assisted by coordinating with private, state, and federal agencies to ensure that those impacted by the floods had access to adequate housing, food, and other needed resources.
After hundreds of Galena residents were evacuated from their homes, TCC provided housing in Fairbanks at The Willow House, and coordinated with several agencies to hold community meetings and a resource fair in Fairbanks to provide important
information to those displaced by the flood.
Articles about the 2013 Flood
- Galena won’t receive federal funds for rebuilding in flood-prone area (September 17th, 2013)
- Flummoxed by FEMA decision, Galena homeowner, neighbors take charge (September 17th, 2013)
- Cleanup gets a camp: Remote location, extensive
damage extend work into winter months (September 15th, 2013)
- Willow House clarifies departure timeline for Galena evacuees (September 11th, 2013)
- Galena Student finally head back to school after devastating floods (September 8th, 2013)
- School to start on time in Galena, but flooded residents still displaced (August 8th, 2013)
- Horror of Yukon River flood haunts Galena efugee, homeless in Anchorage (June 2nd, 2013)
- Photos: City of Galena under water as Yukon River floods (May 31st, 2013)